Sunday 9 December 2012

The Humanity Factor In Determining Success & Failure


Thinking of quitting civil service to become a full time agent. However I am hesitating to make a decision as too many factors to consider. I have 2 young children, parents and a house loan to think of. I have been in civil service for 10 years. Considering that I have only a diploma, I should be contented that I am earning $5k monthly, a salary which I can't get elsewhere. I am in a dilemma of forsaking stable mthly income to try in property industry or stay on be a salaried worker. So far I have heard only success stories and the managers always paint a rosy picture of being a property agent. I feel uncertainty and fear as I cannot afford to fail as I have family to feed. Furthermore I have totally no knowledge on property scene in Singapore and I am not good in networking. So I would appreciate if any manager / director here can kindly give a honest advise to me and not for the sake of recruiting rookies.

Posted by Anonymous - Dec 6, 2012 - Viewed 278 times

Posted Dec 9, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your question, I feel your dilemma and let me shed some light on your query here.

Firstly you are absolutely right, the real industry is most definitely a bed of roses, no doubt the potential rewards are very high, it is a journey also strewn with the mangled wreckage of dashed dreams and ruined hopes. Yet, many have prevailed and succeeded.

Yet perhaps the answer that you seek is not so much about real estate advice, but more so on life itself.

I get that you have concerns on skills deficiencies like networking skills, and the burden of having 2 young children to feed. Coming from that, as you have rightly said, you "should be" contented, and yet you are not, you are comfortable and stable, yet you are not content. Have you wondered why this is so?

Before I was a real estate salesperson, and team leader, I was a performance coach. Let me venture to guess where you are in life,

1. Life is stable, but it has become repetitiveness
2. You are already plateaued for you in your sector, and any more upward progression is somewhat limited
3. You have reached the peak of what a salaried job has to offer
4. You now have a burning question in your heart, wondering and wondering what it would be like for you to build something of your very own, and then chase it with the passion that one can only have when you work for yourself.

My guess is that you are all of the above 4, the only thing is how these 4 elements have burned with you as time goes by, each time getting stronger and stronger.

My friend, we are all one and the same, life's journey always takes us down this path sooner or later.

Make no mistake, the fears and the responsibilities are very real. The lure of real estate no doubt is the monetary rewards, but also the potential for growth. Owning one's own business is about taking charge and responsibility of every aspect of your life, from mastering discipline, down to your own insecurities and fears.

In my own experience leading teams, real estate skills only comprise 50% of the success formula. It is in these skills and abilities that allow us to master ourselves, and then become successful in what ever domain you so choose.

Failure is not an option as you have rightly put it.

Sun Tzu said, "Once the army has crossed the river, burn the bridges.."

You are in a good position to succeed, the path ahead will be a difficult and challenging one, that said, the only obstacle in your path has been one that you are very familiar with and have been very close to all your life. "You".

Master yourself, and you have the keys to success.

Good Luck!!

Best Regards,


Mervin Tang
Marketing Manager
Division Lead Trainer, Project Sales
CEA Reg No. : R030951Z
Huttons Asia Pte Ltd

Mobile: (65) 9184 0208
Website: http://www.SGrealestate.sg
Sales Enquiry: mervintang@SGrealestate.sg
Discussions: http://sg-realestate-sg.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Exclusive Modern Concept 3 and 4 Bedroom Units At The Colonnade @ Grange Road

THE COLONNADE @ 82 Grange Road -         Exclusive mODERN cONCEPT lIVING IN THE HEART OF THE CITY! Renovated bathrooms and kitchens. Exclusi...